Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II vs Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC Macro

I have been thinking of buying a standard f/2.8 lense for quite a while. The big aperture on the lense helps a lot in low light photography and a fast speed lense will reduce the chances of capturing blurry photos, especially with my shaky hands. These two lenses are my candidates. For the photography enthusiasts out there who can read and understand Chinese, you can visit this link to find out more. This link from http://www.mobile01.com/ forum provides a very good comparison between these two lenses. This gentleman (KenKuo) did some testing using these two lenses and made his conclusion. It is up to you whether you want to trust his testing and conclusion. If you found someone did something similar and posted the result in English. Please let me know and share. I would like to check if their result are the same. Anyway, I am still deciding. Believe me, it is hard choice to make.
http://www.mobile01.com/topicdetail.php?f=248&t=259497&last=3996327

3 comments:

Anonymous,  December 31, 2007 at 12:21 AM  

Hi, got your blog address from RojakStudio. Wanted to leave you a message there but...

Here goes my 2 cents...

Somehow, between Sigma and Tamron, I believe both of the performances are pretty good, judging by the price/performance.
I personally own the Tamron version. With its price, I was pretty surprised at how good the quality the result is. It was very sharp, with manual focusing. If you are using the AF, you might get a little disappointed here. I don't know if it was the one that I own is problematic or not, but I've gotten used with the manual focusing, therefore, I don't quite mind with it.
Furthermore, only Tamron have a service centre here in KL. For Sigma, there's none here locally. So, you might want to consider getting a Sigma lens unless you can get help with it when it is faulty.
So far, the Tamron did not dissapoint me especially in Portrait shootings, but the colour abbreviation is pretty bad if you have a white edge in front of a dark contrast object behind. But of course, you can correct it with softwares today with not much problems. Easily done with Adobe Lightroom.
Actually, my advice is, you need to get that lens onto your camera, test it out both of its performance, have both pictures compared in a computer and then only decide, see whichever that you prefer more. Most of the articles on the internet says good things about each other but does not offer much about real world tests.
If you are not in a hurry, I don't know if you own a Nikon or Canon, get either Nikkor 17-55mm f2.8 or Canon L lens. Save up enough and then just get it. You won't regret it. I think the only regret you get is that you might think why didn't you get it sooner!
Good luck!

I can see that lots of your pictures are great! I think I saw you before in many events, such as the 2007 Bon Odori and the more recent ones, Chingay in Padang Brown. I was there, and if I remember correctly, you have great gears!

My apologies for this super long comment!

tango January 1, 2008 at 11:18 AM  

Thanks for the comment and advise, bencoolen. Do you know that you are the first person to leave a comment on my blog? Really appreciate that. Anyway, I have made up my mind and purchased the lense. I will post the photos which I took with the new lense here soon. Stay tuned!

Anonymous,  January 1, 2008 at 12:27 PM  

No problem... I am glad to be the first to post here! Haha... Happy New Year by the way.

Good luck playing with the new lens! I think you'll be pretty happy with the lens for I have gotten a great time with it.

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP