Saturday, August 15, 2009

Land's End - Cape St. Vincent

Normally, your vacation trip which you carefully planned would contains one or two or sometime a few highlights which makes you feel that you have come to the right place and the money worth spending. Algarve in Portugal is one of the places where it gave me such feeling. Hence, I would like to share with you one of the highlights of my recent vacation trip to Europe in this post - The visit to Cape St. Vincent.

We started early on that day because Cape St. Vincent is located about 180 kilometers away from Albufeira town where we stayed at the west. There is a highway (A22) running all the way to the west and ends at somewhere near Lagos. From Lagos, we exited from the highway into the winding country roads. After another 45jutty minutes, we finally arrived Point of Sagres and Cape St. Vincent is just 2 kms away from here.

Cape St. Vincent is the most south-westernly point of the Europe continent and also called the "Land's End" of Portugal. In Portugese, it is called Cabo de Sao Vicente. It is located approximately 6 kilometers from the small village of Sagres. For those who wish to come here, you can either rent a car and drive there or join a tour. I did not see a bus goes there when I was there.

Wow!
That was my first expression when I first arrived at the cape. I was quickly fascinated by what I see. We were right at the edge of Atlantic ocean!

Standing just next to the edge of the vertical cliff at the cape, feeling the wind from the Atlantic ocean blowing against your face and listening to the big waves crushing against the rocky surface of the cliff. I really felt that I could stand there forever breathing!

This is the closest I dare to stand near the cliff.
FAO_3085

Tread carefully on the jutting rocks! You can walk all the ways to the far end of the cliff.
FAO_3089

The light house. Still the most important landmark for the vessels which sail to the East and West.
FAO_3087

Little market just outside the light house.
FAO_3093

If you forgot to bring your camera here, no worries! You can grab some postcards back. :)
FAO_3097bnw

One of the beaches near Sagres Point.
FAO_3107

At Sagres Point. The far end is Cape St.Vincent.
FAO_3120

FAO_3124vint

Click here
to view more Algarve photos of my trip.

5 comments:

Donny T August 24, 2009 at 9:25 PM  

Love the last one...very classic

tango August 25, 2009 at 11:26 AM  

Thanks for the comment, Donny.

=Jesyca= August 26, 2009 at 12:44 AM  

Loves the beaches of Sagres Point.
I wish I can pay a visit there in future. =)

tango August 26, 2009 at 1:35 PM  

Hey Jesyca,

Ya, the beach at Sagres Point is great for wind-surfing and of course sunbathing and swimming. You should go there once as it is cheap to go around Algarve, Portugal.

Thanks for the visit.

MinYin Yap August 31, 2009 at 9:59 PM  

Tang,

The photos look amazing and kinda familiar to me. Where was I in those pictures? Geez, you took ages to process them, don't you. So, what's next and where are the Sevilla pictures? I can't believe you haven't process them yet.

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP